A Capsule History of Rancho Bernardo
( Click on the images below to enlarge )
In 1769 a band of Spanish soldiers and Franciscan missionaries arrived in San Diego where they established a military headquarters, or presidio, along with a church, Mission San Diego de Alcalá, beginning the colonization process that would be repeated over the entire state.
Under Spanish rule, from 1769 to 1821, the land here in this part of San Diego County was under the authority of the missions. The mission fathers bestowed the names that appeared on the first written maps in the early 1800s. One such name that began to appear on maps at that time was a parcel of land about 25 miles north of the town of San Diego called, originally, “El Paraje O Cañada de San Bernardo.” In English, that means “The place or canyon of Saint Bernard.”
After Mexico won its independence from Spain in 1821, the mission lands came under the control of the new Mexican government, which offered massive tracts of land to anyone agreeing to settle on and work the lands.
In 1837 Snook had married Maria Antonia Alvarado, the daughter of a prominent San Diego family. Both of her parents could trace their ancestry to the original Spanish explorers of 1769. Maria’s father Juan Bautista Alvarado was a cousin to the territorial governor of the same name.
Then in 1846 Snook went to sea again. His voyage coincided with an escalation in tensions between Mexico and the United States culminating in the outbreak of the Mexican-American War in May. There are some indications that Snook’s ostensibly commercial voyages also included spying and supplying the Californios, those loyal to Mexico, in the fight against the Americans.
In December of 1846, while Snook was at sea, the Battle of San Pasqual took place on and around his rancho. It is considered the bloodiest and most controversial battle of the war. Nineteen U.S. soldiers and an unknown number of Californios lost their lives.
The war ended in victory for the United States on February 2, 1848, bringing California under the U.S. flag. Don Jose Snook died later that same month.
The Snooks had no children of their own; Don Jose left ranch real estate and buildings to his siblings, one of whom, John, had come over from England. He left his widow Maria a life estate in San Bernardo.
John Snook died in 1852. Maria Snook died in 1862. Ownership of Rancho San Bernardo passed to six Snook nieces and nephews in England. In 1867 they sold the rancho to Thomas Fox, representing the interests of James McCoy.
The sale to McCoy began a process of subdivision of the rancho. McCoy sold off parts of his acreage to three men, Sylvester Lyman, Omar Oaks, and Charles Wetmore. Lyman and Wetmore, in turn, subdivided their property into smaller ranches.
The town of Bernardo flourished for a time, then declined and disappeared by the early 1920s. Its demise was hastened by the growth of the city of Escondido a few miles north and the completion of the Lake Hodges Dam and Reservoir in 1919.
In November 1961, developer Harry Summers and business partner W.R. “Fritz” Hawn announced a joint venture with Lawrence and Donald Daley to develop the ranch into a planned community to be called Rancho Bernardo.
In February, 1962 the San Diego city council voted to approve annexation of Rancho Bernardo. Rancho Bernardo, Inc. set to work grading the ranch terrain to make way for new roads and model homes.
The first residents moved into Rancho Bernardo in 1963. That year also saw the opening of the Rancho Bernardo Inn and the community’s first shopping center.
By February 1964 the new community had grown to 1,300 residents. By June of the same year, 2,000 people called Rancho Bernardo home.
In 1968 NCR became the first corporate tenant in the Rancho Bernardo Industrial Park. That same year AVCO acquired a 51 percent interest in Rancho Bernardo, Inc., which became AVCO Community Developers, Inc.
In 1984 AVCO ended its involvement in the community.
Rancho Bernardo had 20,000 residents by 1982. Estimated population in 2012: 45,000
October 16, 2012
Vincent Rossi is a member of the Rancho Bernardo Historical Society’s Board of Directors. He is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in newspapers, magazines and online publications, and is the author of three local history books, From Field to Town, Valleys of Dreams, and The Lost Town of Bernardo. He is also co-owner of StorySeekers, a research and publishing company specializing in family history, memoir and historical books.
Rancho Bernardo Historical Society
Located at the Bernardo Winery
13330 Paseo Del Verano Norte
San Diego, CA 92128